Friday, October 24, 2008

What is it with water coolers??

OK, I had to go to the funeral home this evening. The same one, the same room, where I've been many times before, as both grieving spouse and grieving friend to others. This man had a long, full life, even longer than Norris's, a good marriage, a large and loving family. He didn't suffer much. There were many people there to offer their condolences and support.

The widow was almost radiant, truly offering herself in humble hospitality to all who came. My heart ached for her; not for tonight or the funeral tomorrow. But for the harder, much harder, times to come. It will be then that I can reach out to her with love and compassion. And it will be then that she can look at me, three years later, and see that one can and does live through this loss. I met a neighbor, through our dogs, yesterday who's probably my age and has been a widow since she (and he) was 29. She said she'll never "get over it", just learn to live in spite of it. Not new news to anyone who has lost a treasured loved one and yet somehow good to hear each time I encounter it.

Well, what does that have to do with water coolers? Not a thing. But after standing in that familiar room for an appropriate amount of time, I suddenly felt very thirsty and wanted to leave. In the lounge I found a water cooler and gulped down 2 paper cups of cold water. And once again, I wondered. Why do water coolers have two faucets--like one might be hot, the other cold? Have YOU ever gotten hot water out of a water cooler? Somehow this little distraction helped me to move on--yet once more.

It's raining here and chilly. I hope you find blessing to celebrate this weekend, no matter what the weather where you are. Breathe, listen, look, laugh, love! And thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments