Wednesday, October 29, 2008

How can I keep from singing

The sun shines brightly on the golden yellow tree in my neighbor's yard, back lit against a cloudy sky in the west. The wind blows vigorously, pushing the clouds, allowing small blue openings among them. It is almost November, folks. And I feel a certain sweet melancholy about it all. Happens every year. I love the beauty of the changing leaves, the smells, the crisp air, the scuttling clouds. Yet, on this day when I have no "outside" responsibilities, I have the luxury of just being and pondering. Remember how the Bible says Mary pondered "all these things in her heart"? Guess I do a lot of that, too.

Yesterday I saw "The Secret Life of Bees", the book being one of my favorites. I love the reminder of Mary and the presence of her spirit among us. That is generally ignored in many Christian circles, except Catholics and a few Episcopalians. The feminine aspect of God is so important and empowering; certainly it has been for me and I hope for many of the women and men I know who aren't too afraid to explore it. Mary is but a symbol of that aspect of God.

This story is about five strong females and how they survive, no, thrive, in the midst of life's pain and hardship. It is a love story of the highest caliber. Last night I began re-reading it for perhaps the third time. Thank you, Sue Monk Kidd, for this profoundly deep and beautiful story.

You know, gratitude is the heart of prayer. Since Thanksgiving is coming soon, why not make every day in November a day in which you spend time noticing and giving thanks. It's much too easy to allow the darkness to surround us and fear to drag us down. We must not do it! The Word came to bring the Light and the darkness COULD NOT overcome it!

Breathe, look, listen, laugh, love and give thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments