It's All Hallow's Eve, the day before All Saints Day. That's what the church celebrates. I've never gotten the connection between remembering "all the saints", including our passed loved ones, and horror and candy orgies. Maybe it's because I grew up on a farm, isolated from close neighbors. I do recall a Halloween party or two at the local church, but never remember trick or treating or what costume I wore. Whatever it was, it was just a get-up collection of stuff around the house. My mother didn't "make" costumes and no one thought of buying them; they weren't even available in stores, except for maybe masks and witches hats, etc. (Does this sound like the elder saying, "Why when I was a girl, we had nothing"?)
But each year I dutifully spend more than I can afford on candy and cheerfully hand it out to the little darlings who come to my door. Happily, most of them ARE cute and polite. AND, my "grandchildren" usually come by for inspection, candy and photos. Norris used to help and a few times my daughter sat out on the porch and did the honors. These are fond memories. When I feel really into it, I doll myself up in a caftan, big hat and lots of makeup. The kids always look surprised! I've heard that Americans spend more on Halloween than any holiday except Christmas. Why is it? What is there about blood and guts and being scared that appeals to us so much? Much has been theorized about our inner animal nature, etc. but I still don't understand.
Tomorrow morning I will facilitate three hours of silent reflection for folks at church--a chance to be; to be still; to be still and know; to be still and know that God is God. I wonder if anyone will come. It's so non-stimulating; so no thing; so scary in itself to be open and vulnerable to the Presence. Maybe someone will be blessed by it. Maybe that someone will be me. I am grateful for the opportunity, regardless of how many come.
And for whatever draws us to Halloween, I'm grateful if it helps us be closer to our kids, have fun with friends and neighbors, or distracts us for a while from the concerns we live with daily. Enjoy!
LISTEN, look, breathe, give thanks, laugh and LOVE!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave comments