Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Dirty Rotten Church Skipper"

Well, it's a lovely October Sunday and I didn't go to church. I feel a bit guilty, believing as I do that one goes to church not just for personal "gain", but to support the Body of Christ gathered there. And I know, having a long history in that place, that I am seen as a leader in the congregation, even though these days I prefer not to be.

Some of my younger friends coined the term DRCS (see title above) and it has stuck. Nevertheless, I am happy to have this day of quiet and beauty. Not just happy, grateful.
Last week was difficult and the upcoming one will be demanding. So this is my Sabbath rest.

Last night a friend and I went to our city's Symphony concert and heard the premiere of a concerto for alto saxophone and orchestra--five movements worth. It was absolutely sublime!! So much so, that she and I left at intermission, fearing the Beethoven Symphony coming up would somehow dilute our euphoria. My teacher training taught: to teach more, teach less. Perhaps the same is true of anything. Perhaps that is a lesson we will be forced to learn in the coming days and years. Less is more. Smörgåsbord is tempting, but not truly satisfying. Simplicity is beautiful and sustaining. I'm grateful for that little reminder last night.

This is Thanksgiving weekend for my Canadian friends and family. I'm grateful for them, too, and for that beautiful country to our north, to which I've thought of moving sometimes. But I do love Michigan and I know the Canadians don't want us disillusioned Americans. So guess I'll stay put. Besides, I wouldn't be able to sell my house!

Blessings to you this day! Breathe, listen, look, LAUGH, and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments