
A friend of my sister's asked for my take on the phrase: It is what it is. Sounds very Zen, doesn't it? I have no particular wisdom on this saying, except that I think it can be very helpful as we live through our days. For instance, outside my window it is snowing--again. I can rail against it, shake my fists at the heavens, go back to bed, but I cannot stop it. It is what it is.
I'm late for an appointment and the car ahead of me is going at least 20 mph. To pass would be unsafe, to stew would make my blood pressure go up. I am clearly going to be late. That's it. It is what it is. Accept it. Deal with it when the time comes, but don't waste your precious energy getting upset and wishing you could change the situation.
We in America live under the illusion that we can do anything. And it's clear, we have done all sorts of things unimaginable even 25 years ago. We live in a sports ethos that says try hard enough and you can win. Never give up. Fight! Fight! Fight! And certainly this ethos has its positive aspects. But to keep our balance, we also need to discern times of acceptance, of humbly acknowledging that we do have limitations.
At this period in our history, it is what it is, stares us in the face daily. Acceptance doesn't mean impotence or despair. It means, "OK. I can't do this; but maybe I can do that. I accept the situation as it is." And if we have faith in the Divine, that acceptance is even easier. We speak of trust, but we do not trust. When we can say, with humble confidence, "It is what it is", we can move on more effectively, more realistically, more peacefully, and with renewed energy for what can be done.
Anyway, that's my take on it. Breathing helps, too!
Yes, that makes sense!
ReplyDeleteSIS
Yes, it is what it is. I too, have found that a useful and contemplative way to look at most things and the older I get, the more comforting I find it! Happy New Year, by the way. I'm still hoping we might correspond a little bit. Do enjoy the rest of this beautiful/bountiful Winter. I have just loved all the snow this year!
ReplyDelete