Friday, January 2, 2009

No Yah buts

When I was growing up, my Dad would make some statement like "Carol, you need to go bring the cows in from the pasture" and my response would be, "Yah, but...." And he would say, "No yah, buts". That phrase is in the same category with "what if" or "if only" or "I would, but". My former hospital colleague often quoted the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" that patients used to explain or justify certain behaviors. Another one that bugs me is "yes, but let's be realistic about this." That statement can throw cold water on just about any hopeful idea.

In 2009, if I have one resolution (other than once more trying to lose weight!), it is to say "Yes, I can" and "Yes, I will" to life. Barack Obama has inspired millions of us and we must not let go of that hope, that belief in positive change, no matter what!!!

At Christmas, Christians speak of the Light that came into the world, which the darkness cannot put out. That Light is available to and in each of us.

Teresa of Avila said,

"Christ has no body now but yours, No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which He looks compassion on this world. Christ has no body now on earth but yours."

And maybe no light but ours? I want to see that Light, hear, touch, smell, taste, and BE that Light. Shall we try--together?

1 comment:

  1. I'm in! Happy New Year and many blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments