
Norris took this photo in a nearby village on the 4th of July one year. With the flag's reflection in the window, the people looking out, and the sign "Yes, We're OPEN", he felt it made a statement about America then. And it still does.
...sweet land of liberty, of Thee I sing." So sang Aretha this morning and we all sang along, didn't we? I've sung this sweet song all my life, but only this week did it finally sink in that the first line is saying "it is of you, my country, that I sing." Growing up, we learned "My country tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing." And I learned it just that way, with no thought to what it was really saying.
Well, today I sang it from the heart along with the rest of this good land, and indeed along with the rest of the world, because today I rejoiced in the symbol of America, as well as the reality of America.
I'm sure everyone is writing something about what this day means to them--some are not as hopeful or excited as others. And yet, somehow, today it felt like we really ARE all one, no matter our several disagreements. I felt love for everyone and hope for everyone. And I felt the Spirit of God hovering over it all, rejoicing, too.
I missed Norris today and Martin Luther King, Jr. and James Farmer and Lyndon Johnson and my grandmother and my friend, Monique, who recently moved to the East Coast. All special to me in various ways; all important contributors to justice and equality and equanimity and godly love. Norris knew, or at least met, all those mentioned above. We are all connected somehow. And I accept, for my part, the challenge of doing all I can to increase connections, encourage forgiveness and understanding, and pray "without ceasing."
This has been one of the greatest days of my life and I will forever be grateful to have participated in it--along with you.
Tomorrow? Yes, we can!
Oh and by the way, Tessa the dog is feeling good, too. Thanks for caring!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave comments