Friday, May 28, 2010



Do you think I'll turn into a couch potato? Or maybe a rutabaga. Eeww, I hate rutabaga!! No, I think I'll be a zucinni. Whatever, I'm very grateful for a new couch and area rug, sitting on top of newly cleaned carpet.

Today I am sending a proposal to Spiritual Directors International to do a workshop at their conference in Boston next spring. It's about being a non-anxious presence in situations of crisis, fear, confusion, trauma. It brings back memories of the role of chaplain as that presence--someone who stays calm, cares but doesn't fall apart, thinks somewhat clearly, seems capable of making the impossible possible to bear. And I am also reminded, with deep gratitude, of those who have played that role for me, especially when Norris was dying. Who knows how it happens, but I suspect a deep prayerful connection with God is a key factor. Attended to day after day, that relationship gives us capabilities at such moments far beyond what we think is possible.

Gratitude is the word for this beautiful day! Blessings to you, dear reader.
Breathe deeply, laugh heartily, look piercingly, love extravagantly!

1 comment:

  1. The workshop sounds like something that I would benefit from. I hope that your proposal "flies" with the "powers that be." I believe you are right about a "deep prayerful connnection with God being the key factor." Something I have neglected as of late and I notice how "out of whack" I feel. Blessings... Diane

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments