Monday, May 3, 2010

Christ Is In It All


Sometimes, living alone, I feel isolated, separate from God and others. Thankfully it doesn't usually last long. Soon Christ shows up all over the place. I had watched a little video showing the Grand Hotel staff preparing for its opening. Like a tsunami, memories of my last trip with Norris, the celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary in that Grand old hotel, poured over me. The grief went on for two days. I'll spare you details, but taking the trip required a huge amount of effort from both of us, as his health was fast deteriorating. That was in early August and by mid-December, he was gone. I hadn't felt awash in grief for quite some time, fickle friend that it is, teasing me into believing I was finally "over it." Hah!!!

I holed up in my house from Saturday noon till mid-afternoon Sunday. Couldn't face going to church. And then--Christ came. Christ came in the gentle hospitality of a young Turkish woman who invited me and other dear friends for Tea, which for Turks means lots of good food, as well. Christ came in the evening concert of the Lange Ensemble, composed of many dear friends. Christ came in the music of Leonard Bernstein and the voice of a little boy named Mattieu. Christ came in the many friends I encountered afterward and in the assurance that I would always be welcome to return to the Ensemble.

This morning I felt much better and then that Christ came again! Because my Godson taped it and put it on our church's website, I was able to see and hear a fine sermon my friend, Jannel, preached yesterday. Then a dear man re-rolled my lawn 'cause it didn't work very well the first time. Though this required him to haul equipment from quite a distance, he wouldn't allow me to pay him. I was so motivated by his work out there, I jumped into action, straightening up the house and after he left, I took Tessa, the dog, for a long walk through the wetland nearby. There I met Christ in people, plants, other dogs, wild birds, trees, warm sun and a lovely breeze.

Finally, a gentle woman whom I don't know privately chided me on Facebook, for publicly correcting someone's punctuation in a post for a very worthy organization. She did it kindly, I responded giving my rationale, she said she understood my point, but maybe I could have done it privately, I agreed with her. We thanked one another. And I publicly apologized for my critical words. Now if that wasn't Christ in action, I don't know what is.

Thank you, Christ, for being in it all, including the wonderful memories.

1 comment:

  1. Your depression and ennui is palpable. I love that divine visitations were sent to comfort you, to energize you. I do know that God sends vegetable, animal and mineral angels when we most need them. And I do believe that my own guardian angel (whose name is Anthony, I think) has saved me from many a bump and stupid mistake.

    You will miss your dearest Norris forever. The raw pain abates, because we cannot maintain its intensity. But the actuality of loss never departs.

    Today I got a haircut and look very stylishly chic. Pronounced like a baby bird. Tomorrow I will have a root canal and feel out of sorts--out of money, more specifically.

    I did enjoy your post. We are indeed the body of Christ and, like Jesus, have our down days.

    Choose life, even amidst its root-canal-ish permutations.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments