
Yesterday I participated in a beautiful memorial service. We "sent off" a fine man who died before he was 70, after many years of fending off leukemia. He was a trumpet man and so we had a brass quintet in his honor. At the end of the service, which contained a variety of wonderful music, the quintet played a "subdued" Dixieland version of "Amazing Grace". I want that at my farewell party! It was so tender, so hopeful, so celebrative. Just what our trumpet man would have loved!
And my "son" friend came home from the West to play the organ with verve and love! That not only nourished the widow, it nourished my spirit as well. He and I have been through a lot of stuff together and I'm grateful we could share such a special sacred time.
Finally, I'm so grateful that my parish church and its staff and people are open and accepting, gladly offering this beautiful space for someone who "isn't a member." We believe in the Bible verse: "God's house shall be a house of prayer for all people."
There are those who have left this particular house of God because of narrow and exclusive reasons. I stand proud that we stayed and can see blessing after blessing, no matter how hard it sometimes is. Thank you, God, and thank you, St. Paul's.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave comments