Saturday, July 18, 2009

Posture again



"Stand up and be a man." "Walk with your head held high." These and other phrases in our culture, old-fashioned though they may be, speak of the psychological aspect of posture. They were usually aimed at men, especially soldiers. And I'm sure what I'm writing today applies to many men.

But for women, as I said in the last post, walking erectly, head back, chest out, has been discouraged. I thought it had changed from eons ago when I was young, but even today I see younger women walking with their heads down and I feel sad. Once she has been belittled enough, teased enough, assaulted verbally or physically enough, she will hang her head like a guilty dog. Do you remember "You should be *ashamed* of yourself!" And you are, posture reflecting it.

So claiming straight posture, the way we were created to be, speaks volumes about how we view ourselves, as God's beautiful creations, as individuals worthy of respect, as clear-eyed visionaries looking the world straight in the eye and saying "I'm here, flaws and all; I'm worthwhile; I'm part of this adventure called life; I offer my gifts and my love."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments