Saturday, December 6, 2008

Open my Eyes

As long as I can remember I have known this old hymn "Open my Eyes that I might See":

Open my eyes, that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.

Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my god, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me.
Spirit divine!

Open my ears, that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave-notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.

Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me.
Spirit divine!

Open my mouth, and let me bear
Gladly the warm truth everywhere;
Open my heart, and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.

Silently now I wait for The
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me.
Spirit divine!

It was the opening prayer focus for a quiet morning at church today. Led by my dear friend, Steve, it was just a simple, quiet three hours--time for the four of us who came to re-collect ourselves, to remember who and Whose we are; to meditate on the significance of Advent, of Mary's "yes" to God's invitation. Nothing spectacular occurred; we all just spent the morning where we chose, doing what we chose to do or not do. But when we gathered to reflect before leaving, there was a noticeable difference in each of us: our countenances, our voices, the joy that couldn't be hidden, the tenderness with which we hugged one another. We spoke of "holding the center", helping to keep our dear world from flying apart, just by our act of faithfulness and open awareness. Not ours, alone, of course; but yes, ours, as well. I am grateful for the opportunity and that I was willing to accept it. I pray each of us can find at least a few minutes of quiet reflection during these demanding and concerning days.

May you look, listen, breathe deeply. And may you notice and celebrate laughter and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments