I wrote this last year and am re-posting it, because, well, I like it!
This is the irrational season
When love blooms bright and wild.
Had Mary been filled with reason,
There'd have been no room for the child.
This is the irrational season
When love blooms bright and wild.
Had Mary been filled with reason,
There'd have been no room for the child.
I love this little poem by Madeleine L'Engle, a zany and brilliant woman who wrote copiously and with great joy. I thought of it and her as Advent began. The Cathedral Church of St. John the DIvine in New York was rededicated Sunday, finally restored after a disastrous fire in 2001. Madeleine worked for many years in the library at the Cathedral. As well, my mother-in-law went to missionary school on the grounds of that magnificent church. When I saw it for myself in 2002, I was overwhelmed with its beauty and magnitude. I can only imagine how it looks today, sparkling and open--"a house of prayer to all people"--as it proclaims itself to be. (That's Biblical, by the way.) And as an Episcopalian, I know how wondrous the liturgy Sunday must have been. With all its faults, I do believe the Episcopal/Anglican church's greatest gifts are beautiful liturgy and, usually, inclusiveness.
Madeleine came here to speak years ago, when my daughter was young and a huge fan of her children's fantasies. We had the privilege of escorting her. What a kind and fascinating woman! She delighted in children and encouraged M. to hang on to her imagination and nurture her creativity. I'm grateful for Madeleine L'Engle, God rest her soul. I'm grateful for all people, especially women, who have the courage to put what they have to give out where others can access it. By the way, she was turned down by publishers for years before finally being accepted.
In this "irrational season" put away your doubts, your skepticism, your false humility. Let love bloom bright and wild. Make room for all that wants to be born through you. God asks; let us answer "yes"!!
Look at the beauty; listen to the music; laugh at yourself; love with all your heart; breathe in the Life that keeps your feet on the ground and your soul in flight.
Madeleine came here to speak years ago, when my daughter was young and a huge fan of her children's fantasies. We had the privilege of escorting her. What a kind and fascinating woman! She delighted in children and encouraged M. to hang on to her imagination and nurture her creativity. I'm grateful for Madeleine L'Engle, God rest her soul. I'm grateful for all people, especially women, who have the courage to put what they have to give out where others can access it. By the way, she was turned down by publishers for years before finally being accepted.
In this "irrational season" put away your doubts, your skepticism, your false humility. Let love bloom bright and wild. Make room for all that wants to be born through you. God asks; let us answer "yes"!!
Look at the beauty; listen to the music; laugh at yourself; love with all your heart; breathe in the Life that keeps your feet on the ground and your soul in flight.
'The Irrational Season' is a beautiful book, too. Along with 'Two-Part Invention'; beautiful and intimate looks at a marriage,family and person "becoming". I read about the rededication of St. John the Divine some days ago in the NY Times. My husband lived in New York as a child for a time ( his father was an artist and art professor on sabbatical from the University here so they lived in NY for 3 years ) and he made many trips to the Cathedral and he too, wonders what it looks like today! Very nice post. Thank you.
ReplyDelete