Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Another year of surviving--even living

Well, I have survived three years alone. It hardly seems possible. There were so many months when I wondered how I ever would make it without Norris and our closeness for over 40 years.I'm too tired tonight to say anything very profound. Just that M and I put up the tree and tried to do the lights the way he always did. We toasted him, remembered the sorrow of his last year of life, but also remembered his strength and reliability and his genuine love for us both. We cried some and laughed a lot. And when we hugged, I felt his arms around us both.

I no longer "expect" him to come back. I am grateful for the life he and we had. He gave a great deal; he received a great deal, as well. Except for his deep and well-founded concerns for the world in general, he really was a pretty happy man.

I am grateful for all the ways in which God has helped me through this valley. I am thankful for the men and women who love me and let me love them in return. Being widowed is very, very hard; but this year I finally feel that I not only will survive till it's my time, but I will live, as fully as possible.

Here's to you, Norris. May your spirit soar like an eagle!