
You know how teachers rejoice when they see a student succeed or reconnect with one years later and receive appreciation? Well, today I really felt like a spiritual director with a history--not of students, of course, but of precious persons who have chosen to sit with me over time, sharing prayer, silent meditation, their struggles, their special relationships, their fears, their surprises of Grace, their awe, their love, their very souls.
I attended the Ordination of a young directee to the Methodist ministry this afternoon, in Adrian, where I was born. In fact, I was baptized in the United Methodist Church there. Years later, I began trekking there to retreats, experiencing the beauty and grace of Weber Center and the Adrian Dominican nuns.
But today was a day to observe and rejoice. The Bishop preached an inspiring sermon, the music was lovely, and I was moved as I stood to support him during the formal laying on of hands.
Confidentiality does not allow me to use his name, though he probably wouldn't mind folks hearing about the commitment he made today--one that he knows will not be easy or make him materially rich or allow for much leisure time. I was so proud of him. And when I met family members, they all knew who I was, said they'd heard about me, said how much I had influenced him. Really? I didn't know that. Of course we know it was the Spirit that touched him, but I was definitely involved. :)
At the reception, I connected with a dear friend, Bob Roth, a pastor in Ann Arbor. At a critical time in his journey we spent a couple of years meeting for direction. As we stood talking, he spoke to another pastor, who looked at me wide-eyed, then threw her arms around me. Another former directee, one whose first child (now in college) I blessed in utero as his mom sat on my living room couch. She and Bob told the newly ordained how much their time in direction had meant to them.
Upon arriving home, I found a phone message from yet another former directee who had managed to finish an exhausting and very challenging physical event. She called to thank me for my prayer support. Opened the email and there were messages from two current directees, one reporting on a recent trip and saying thanks for my prayers; the other from one who had had a good retreat experience.
I wonder why God does this sometimes. Why would I receive "messages" of love, confidence, respect and gratitude from SIX different ones I have loved through this ministry, all on the same day--a day, incidentally, when I skipped going to my own church? :)
What a grace to be surrounded with that love and respect! A real affirmation of a calling to a significant ministry. Not a ministry that is publicly noticed or lauded; not a ministry that pays much money; not a ministry that many are even aware of; but a ministry that offers precious intimate understanding and support for anyone seeking a deeper relationship with God and with his or her self. I am so proud to be a part of this ministry, so grateful to give and receive the love of good and sincere people.
I guess this post is pretty much "all about me", but I hope you who read it will be blessed somehow and will realize that whatever you give with a loving and generous heart is received by God and others and it does make a difference.
This last line is worth reading again and is worthy of you.
ReplyDelete"I hope you who read it will be blessed somehow and will realize that whatever you give with a loving and generous heart is received by God and others and it does make a difference.
I am happy for you.
Robert