
I'm watching a lovely sunset out my window. What a beautiful week it has been. And I, considered by many to be a "good Christian", have not gone to one of the services offered each day this week. Why not, I wonder?
Did I not want to walk the Way of the Cross, to watch a while with Jesus, to mourn with others his terrible death? Seems like I've been mourning all week--for my own wounds and those of people I love, for those who are no longer in my life. For the tragic and bestial treatment of so many persons, especially women and girls, around the world every single day. For the spouting of hateful words and the encouragement of violent actions (no matter which political extreme) which are done not only abroad, but here in the America we love, in the name of "being right." For the callous exploitation of fearful and uncertain people by those who care not a whit for them, but only want to make names (read money) for themselves. For the endless raping of earth and her inhabitants for the privilege of the wealthy few, meaning most of us. I weep for and with Jesus.
Yet somehow, though I love my church and her people, I could not bring myself to participate in yet another "just like every year" series of Holy Week events. I apologize to those clergy and other leaders whom I respect and care for. I'm not blaming you; well, not exactly. But I continue to believe that the Christian church, regardless of its permutations, is miserably failing to address the needs of this world or to live up to the Christ whom we profess to love. We (and I include myself) are selfish, greedy, fearful, and mired in self-satisfaction and certitude, hoping that if we just go through the right motions and say the right words and believe the right doctrine--hocus-pocus! we'll all be saved. Hmph!! OK, so maybe I'm a bit cynical or over-dramatic. Or, maybe I'm at least a little bit right.
If you read this after tomorrow, Blessed Easter! May our faith be ignited and explode with hope and joy and love.
Please don't let those caught up with the evil in this world discourage you. They will always be with us. Look to what is beautiful, good and true. Fill your heart with these things.
ReplyDeleteI totally understand and am often tempted to give holy week a pass myself. Even though I'm in the choir, I usually don't do all of it, and quite honestly, if I go to any of the dismal services it's to make Easter more of a high when it comes. I agree with you that what Lent and Holy Week should be about is thinking about all the pain and misery in the world rather than just ignoring it, but this needs to lead to some type of action if it's to be anything but a sort of masochistic trip.
ReplyDeleteSusan,I see my words more as prophetic (like “wake up”) than discouraged. Mourning is part of life, but not all of my life by any means. Thanks for your encouragement, nevertheless.
ReplyDeleteCindy, I think I get more from services when I'm somehow part of the leadership. So that's my own problem. And yes it needs to lead to action, and I know it does in many, many ways, including in my own life, but I am impatient and feel a sense of urgency. Guess I need to take a deep breath and remember God.