Sunday, January 3, 2010

Playing Church


I'm watching an early and cold winter sunset out my window. It has been the third sunny and cold day in a row in Mid-Michigan. May be a record for January! And so, New Year blessings to you, dear reader. May you blossom and thrive in the days to come, no matter what life throws your way.

Today I had one of those rare opportunities to do something as an adult that I loved to do as a kid. In this case, it was "playing church". Of course, it wasn't "just" playing. It was real. But every once in a while I have the fun of leading worship, preaching, praying and blessing a lovely congregation of people who have become my second church home. And as it always is, today was a joy. We weren't a large group. As I told them, it was a "low Sunday." But I'm always, or usually there on low Sundays, so it doesn't bother me. You see, many in the parish were up north having a holy ski weekend. And some stayed home because of the extreme cold and some were probably just tired of all the holiday celebrating. Nevertheless, there was a respectable sized congregation and we sang, prayed, laughed and cried together with energy.

I call it playing church because I did a lot of that when I was little. I planned the service, chose the hymns, was the "organist" (piano, actually), choir, preacher, and congregation all rolled into one. Kind of a fun way to do things; no one to disagree with me or criticize or get bored with my words. On the other hand, church is about community and that I didn't have as a child--at least not at home in my playtime.

It occurred to me that even though my parents were devout Christians, and even though I played church (and Sunday School) regularly, I never heard them even hint that I might want to become a minister. Girls didn't do that sort of thing much when I was young; but a few did and I'm surprised they never mentioned it. Who knows, if they had, maybe I would have gone to seminary right out of college.

I don't think that would have turned out nearly as well as what transpired instead. So I'm grateful they didn't push me. I headed in that direction off and on for several years in mid-life, yet somehow it never came to be. I used to wish it had, but for a long time now I have rejoiced in my unique role as spiritual director, retreat leader, lay minister and friend to many. It suits me just fine. One of these days soon I'll find out whether book author will be added to that list. I'll let you know.

Enjoy each day for what it offers you and don't forget to breathe, look, listen, and laugh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments