Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Oh, the beauty!


I've heard enough complaining about the commercialization of Christmas, the dysfunction of the U. S. Congress, especially the Senate, the disappointment with Copenhagen, the corruption and violence in Afghanistan and Iraq, the weak "hopes" spoken in the media about the improved economy--improved for the ultra-rich only, it seems.

So today, on this day before the day before Christmas, I want to dwell on beauty. Outside the window above my desk, the neighborhood is absolutely ablaze with sun on snow, with a light blue sky beyond and lovely tree shadows across the yards. Everything is quiet and peaceful, at least on the surface.
This neighborhood has been that way all through the 33 years I've lived in it. I remember one time when a burglar was being chased through yards by a police helicopter and once when there were gunshots at a drunken party nearby. TWO events in 33 years.

Last week my computer got hacked and I was angry and upset with myself for my naivete. It cost me lots of money to get it fixed. I felt violated and scared for a while. Such an experience could lead one to be super afraid and cautious. Some caution, of course, is fine. But super-fear, certainty that this evil is pervasive, is not how I want to live. I learned a lesson; I will be more careful. But I will not *expect* bad things to happen. I've been using the internet actively for over 10 years. This is the first time something want that wrong. I'm sorry it did, but I'm grateful that's the only time.

Guess I'm sounding a bit like Pollyanna (do young people know who Pollyanna was?), but I do not want to live out of a center that is fearful, grasping, angry, bitter. Sometimes I have those feelings, and not just about computers, but I pray for peace and if I mean that prayer, then I must open my heart to peace as the prevailing attitude. Well, I wonder what you think.

I think it's time to go wrap presents, focus on the music, the smiles, the giggles, the hugs, the laughter and tears, the good food and warm company--the things that make this season Holy indeed. May God bless you and all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments