
I went to the Allen Street Farmers' Market Wednesday afternoon. I think about going every week, but somehow 2:30 Wednesday comes and goes and I don't get there. It is a friendly place, with folk music playing, a variety of vendors, often with children helping, selling their goods. The color, the smells, the laughter, and variety of freshly grown food, is appealing to every sense. I spent a few dollars and am enjoying a lovely autumn banquet of cut flowers, fresh carrots, green beans, tomatoes, parsley, green onions, peaches, plus potatoes from a friend's garden. I devoured that very day a large sweet potato muffin filled liberally with raisins and walnuts. Mmmm, good!
This was in preparation, in part, for the arrival of my sister today. We'll spend the weekend together and being farm girls originally, we'll enjoy all these good fruits and vegetables as we reminisce over the abundance with which we grew up.
We're also going to visit another part of the state where we will pay homage at the grave of our beloved maternal grandmother, visit the village in which she raised our mother and four other children in a tiny little house, and find her father's grave in a nearby town. He is the only great-grandparent we know much about and was a Civil War hero.
The earth is fruitful; our ancestors were fruitful. And it all points toward our being fruitful, as well, in whatever ways God has gifted us. We owe it to share those gifts liberally with the earth, with our selves and other people, with and through our magnificent Creator.
May you show forth fruit in your life today and every day!
Potato muffins? We have a bunch of potatoes from our garden. I need that recipe! :)
ReplyDelete