
Here is a quote from Mary Travers' obituary in today's NYTimes: In 1970, after releasing the greatest-hits album “Ten Years Together,” the group disbanded. Ms. Travers embarked on a solo career, with limited success, releasing five albums in the 1970s. The first, “Mary” (1971), was the most successful, followed by “Morning Glory” (1972), “All My Choices” (1973), “Circles” (1974) and “It’s in Everyone of Us” (1978).
Did you know that Mary had a solo career? I can't find one Youtube clip of her wonderful single work. Songs such as "It's in Every One of Us", "Flying on a Single Wing", and many other songs of social justice and the struggle of women are on these albums. I'm grateful to have CDs of them all and I salute Mary Travers as a woman who could stand alone. Though we all loved Peter, Paul and Mary, I honor her as a solid solo voice whose work touched my heart and head over many years.
The sorrow those in my generation feel today is partly, I feel sure, because we are again reminded that we are near the end of our days of contributing to this world. And we are reminded, too, and rejoice in the hope, that what we've tried to do in a positive way, will be carried on by the next and the next and the next. May it be so!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave comments