Sunday, March 1, 2009

Good and faithful servant


Early this morning, a good man died. He was 78 years old, had an abundant life in most respects, was married to his high school sweetheart for 58 years. They raised four children, have eight grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. His wife and I have been close friends for almost 30 years. And because of that, he became my friend, as well. When my husband lay dying in our living room, they came, together, many times to see us, just to be, with us. I'm sure he hated having to see Norris that way, but he did it.

He was a large taciturn sort of guy, with a wicked, and I mean wicked, sense of humor. It took me years to figure out that behind that stern face and gruff voice, he was teasing. The two of them traveled extensively, partly because his work as a top-flight meeting manager (AMA, etc.) took him all over the world. Yet he was as down to earth as they come. He weathered years of family members' addictions , hanging in there even when he was depressed and weary. After he retired, he became a fine potter and I treasure the several pieces he gave to me.

He was a devoted Lutheran and served God and the church in many ways. Just as Norris did, he donated his body to the MSU medical school, to assist students in learning anatomy--a most worthy final act on this earth.

I am grateful for such dear friends and sad to see him move on. But I do rejoice for him. " Well done, thou good and faithful servant." As his spouse wrote this morning, "God is good and that is enough." Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry about your friend, Carol.
    My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments