Thursday, February 5, 2009

So what will we give up and why?

In conversation with two dear friends yesterday, we were acknowledging the need for all of us to make lifestyle changes. Yet before we knew it, we were all talking enthusiastically about how we could better lead groups if we had an IPod. Wouldn't have to worry about a functioning CD player; wouldn't have the scratched CD syndrome to worry about; it's small and easy to transport. The pluses go on and on. Each successive invention makes life easier and what is at first novel, soon becomes the standard. The must have! But then we wondered about how to responsibly dispose of the "prior" must haves--the cassettes, the boom boxes, the CDs, the records, the turntables.

The conundrum is, in part, what effect will having or not having this technology, or other stuff, have on the economy, the environment, etc? We have a responsibility to one another and the planet. And we have a responsibility to our beliefs and values. And so what can we do? Our Congress, in the midst of a huge pile of issues that can effect the very existence of the earth, is upset because some people might not be able to watch TV. And I agree that if some of us can, all of us should be able to. But I wonder what it would be like, even for a week, to have no TV to watch. What else might we do with ourselves? And over time, how would its absence and our interrupted addiction to it, change our lives--personally and as a society?

Do I have answers to these questions? Are you kidding? Of course not! The whole dilemma is beyond my comprehension, which is one of the few reasons I'm glad I'm getting old. :) Because the desire to escape from all this chaos and confusion is sometimes pretty great. Don't worry. I'm not suicidal. Just frustrated and weary. I want to do "the right thing". Now if I could only figure out what that is! Guess prayer is called for. :)

Breathe deeply, until the cold air hurts your lungs! Life is still real and good.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is all very over-whelming when taken as a whole. We need to step back and chip off one little piece at a time. You can't do everything all at once!

    Regarding unwanted electronics, there are places to recycle. For example, locally here in mid-Michigan the City of Lansing and Classic Computer Recovery, Inc. are teaming up once again to offer another FREE recycling collection event for TVs and computers to be held on Saturday, February 7, 2009, from 9am - 2pm at the Ingham County Road Commission facility, located at 5613 S. Aurelius Rd. in Lansing.

    Life without TV? No problem. I might watch an hour a month, maybe. Too busy with other stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking this morning that I often find the computer distracting and, at the same time, hard to get away from, now that it's here. We bought our first about 9 years ago; I fought it tooth and nail because I was convinced it was the veritable road to perdition and now, so many things are virtually undoable without it. I have two "online" classes that are only offered that way so I had to learn "Blackboard"--learning "Aquinas" online is not easy with no one to question! I love being able to do the blogging and email; I like the fact that I've gotten to "know" people, like you Carol, that I might not have otherwise. But I share your sense of dilemma over when it all becomes too much and I have no ready answer beyond the one you offered: sounds like a area for prayer!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments