Friday, November 7, 2008

The Answer, My Friend, is Blowin' in the Wind

Tonight I'm going to sing that at a 60's coffee house at my church. Funny, the 60's don't seem that long ago to me! Trudging to class across the lovely tree-covered campus at CMU, smelling the autumn, going to frat parties, listening to some cool guy play guitar and lead us in singing the Kingston Trio, Peter, Paul and Mary, etc. songs that were so much a part of our lives.

Elvis hadn't died; the Viet Nam war was just brewing; Kennedy was still President; we were scared to death of war with Russia via Cuba; many of us smoked, but marijuana wasn't prevalent yet; we had "Chip" parties where lots of beer was consumed and making out was common place. These parties were in out of the way places along the local river, where I guess we thought no one would notice us.

I struggled to find my place on the campus, living as a freshman in a dorm suite with three older members of the snootiest sorority on campus. They made fun of my saddle shoes and my hair and my clothes, not always unkindly, but certainly did nothing to help my self-confidence. And then came the theatre. And yes, that's how I've always spelled it--the British way. What a mixed-up mass of humanity we were! Everyone trying to be cool, wanting to succeed on stage, bowing to the two guys who were the stars of most shows, doing whatever grunt work we had to just to be a part of it all. When I was inducted into the honorary dramatics fraternity, I felt more "at home" than I ever had before. I was acceptable and contributing, even though I was also used and abused in my desperate longing to be one of the "family."

Do you notice how "male" these reflections are? The cute GUY playing guitar, the cool GUYS who were stars, the FRATERNITIES. In those days, my highest desire was to be accepted by "the guys", whether that was as a friend, a sibling, or a lover. How limiting that was and I am so grateful that as I grew older, women became much more important to me and to my self-image.

That was almost 50 years ago and it's fun to reminisce. Isn't that what we older folks are supposed to do? I think it's great, except if it replaces our present and/or our future. Life has changed so amazingly since those college days, but "Blowin' in the Wind" seems to have a lasting message--"how many deaths will it take till he knows that too many people have died?"
Here's to the 60's and here's to a new day in America. May the inspiration, energy, excitement and hope flow on.

Please pray for the President-elect, the current President and the Republican candidate for President. May all three find a measure of satisfaction and joy in their efforts. And may we all try to love one another, no matter who we are or what we think.

Thanks for checking in. Remember to breathe! And hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments