On Being a Hospital Chaplain
I was a hospital chaplain for almost 15 years. My mother didn’t think I’d last; not the right temperament. Somehow I did.
Chaplains don’t evangelize or preach at people. We are just there.
I was frequently amazed at the outpourings of gratitude from folks--patients, family members, and staff. Why, I wondered. I didn’t do anything. In some cases, I said a prayer, but often I just sat, holding hands, listening if they wanted to talk, being quiet if they didn’t. I always smiled and wished them well.
One of the mysteries of life in the hospital is how little interest the ill have in controversial subjects--politics, religion, etc. Is it the basic human desire to live? Life definitely takes on a different perspective. We sort out what is truly important and basic to survival.
My colleagues and I were Christians--an Episcopalian, a Lutheran, a Methodist, a Roman Catholic. Seldom did anyone--patients, family members, even staff--ask our religion or our denomination. I prayed with Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, atheists, Christian Fundamentalists, even Wisconsin Synod Lutherans, and they don’t normally pray with anyone not their own.
The Catholic church had local parish priests assigned to each hospital in town. Our priest, Father Ray, ministered with a gentle, no nonsense, attitude. I admired him. His work load was horrendous, yet he always smiled and seemed at peace.
As I remember it, once when we appeared simultaneously at the bedside of a elderly Hispanic man, whose large family was fiercely protective, Father Ray explained to them that he couldn’t come back for a couple of days. He put his arm around my shoulders and said, “But don’t worry, you’re in good hands with Carol.” That family welcomed my presence even as their father was dying.
A few years later, I was privileged to sit with Father Ray as he lay dying. We shared an easy closeness and comfortability. When it came to life and death, the “oughts and shoulds” melted away. We all worked together.
Often there is little a chaplain can offer in the way of comfort or reassurance. After surgery, beds in ICU are raised up, allowing nurses and others to easily work with patients. There is much to attend to following major surgeries. I remember standing on tip toe beside elevated beds, assuring recovering patients that they were still here. On a respirator, unable to talk, the patients were uncomfortable, frequently anxious. I reminded them that the tube down their throat was temporary; it would come out soon. And I smiled. I smiled a lot, often thinking how grateful I was that tube wasn’t down my throat.
One of the most poignant experiences came one late afternoon when I was called to ER. We’ll name the “players” Lois and Roy. Lois, an elderly woman, had a burst aortic aneurysm and would bleed to death unless it could be closed. Doctors decided to try, though her chances of survival were slim. However, family wanted to wait until Roy, Lois’ boy friend, could get there. He was coming from out in the country, several miles away. We waited and waited. Finally we could wait no longer. The surgery must happen, now or never.
I decided to stay in ER to await Roy’s arrival and let him know the situation. No sooner had the elevator doors closed, taking her up to the OR, than an elderly man, nice looking with a head full of beautiful white hair, hurried breathlessly into ER. Oh my, what bad timing.
Without giving it any thought, I quickly introduced myself and told Roy to come with me. As we went up in the elevator, I let him know what was happening and that things didn’t look good. It might be too late for him to see her. He looked shocked and bewildered. The OR staff also looked shocked as we charged into the holding area. I frantically told them who Roy was and asked if we were too late. Well, no, they hadn’t started. We’ll ask if Roy can go in. The answer was yes, as long as he wore all the protective clothing--gown, gloves, shoe coverings, head covering, and mask. Well, said Roy, chuckling, I’ve never done anything like this before. He seemed rather excited as he donned all the yellow paper clothes.
You can go in, but only for a moment, he was told. I followed him to the OR door and as I peeked through the small window, I saw the surgical team stand back respectfully as he walked to the operating table, bent over Lois and gently kissed her.
Had I not intervened, Roy could not have delivered that final good-bye. I walked away, tearfully, grateful to my core for the privilege of being a “healer” in that healing place.
Carol, I felt as if I were walking the hospital halls with you, entering the rooms, accompanying those who came to the ER. What a presence of grace you were and you gifted me with grace in the reading.
ReplyDelete