
I promise those readers who know me well, I won't write again about this event.
It was my great honor Wednesday evening to celebrate with others being one of ten finalists in the Greater Lansing Woman magazine's Woman of the Year event. It's been on my mind for over two months, since I first learned of the distinction. Since then, I've been interviewed at length, photographed at home, photographed formally, met with the other finalists and judges (last year's finalists), received lots of compliments from friends and acquaintances, and waited for the finale. Many people who greatly deserve honor, never receive it. And part of my reaction was a sense of unworthiness and embarrassment, as well as pleasure that a dear friend nominated me and that many others celebrated with me.
When I was young, I was in a couple of "beauty" contests and I loved the attention and approval. Now in my older years, and having a recognizable husband and daughter, the "spotlight" is not so desirable and while it may look like fun and glamor, even a small amount of "fame" is something of a burden.
I'm glad it's over. I'm glad I was recognized. I'm glad I have people who love and support me. I would have been just as thrilled to have most of the women in my life up on that stage, for they are representative of all the beautiful people whose daily gifts and giving often go unrecognized. Thank God, God "notices" them all!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave comments